Version Reference: 082021v1.0
This cookie statement applies to information collected and used by Markel (collectively referred to in this Cookie Statement as “we”, “us” or “our”), when you access and use our websites “site(s)”. This information is collected by cookies and other similar technologies, collectively referred to as “cookies”.
Learn about Cookies
A cookie is a tiny text file that a website stores on your machine (including any computer, mobile phone or tablet) and reads on subsequent visits. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to website owners. It allows the website to identify you and for example, remember your log in details the next time you visit.
Cookies can be ‘first party’ or ‘third party’ depending on the domain that sets them. In relation to our sites:
- Third party cookies are set by third parties and information is collected and used in accordance with their policies. We have no control over third party cookies; they are used to allow third parties to provide certain services to us, such as website analytics and online advertising.
- to provide essential features and functionality on our website;
- to ensure you are properly logged in where this is necessary to use the site;
- to store personal registration information so that you do not have to provide it to us again on subsequent visits;
- to track your progress through our site so we can make improvements to the service we offer you; and/or;
- to track visitor information and to learn about the behavior of visitors to our website, how they respond to our marketing communications and for research and statistical purposes;
- to monitor and analyze website usage and performance so that we can improve how it operates (including in relation to security) and the product selection and services available through it; and/or
- to remember any preferences which our site may allow you to set.
Cookies may be required to allow you to access and participate in certain areas of our site.
What types of cookies do we use?
Different cookies have different functions. Our website uses the following:
When you first access our sites, we ask you to read our Cookie Statement and acknowledge the use of the cookies before proceeding to use our websites. When using this site, you agree that we can place cookies on your computer or device, depending on the option you select.
We will use the information to provide you with advertisements that are tailored to you.
Managing and deleting cookies
The statistics, marketing, and unclassified cookies on our sites (listed above) are not strictly necessary for our website to work but improve its overall performance and are intended to provide you with a better browsing experience.
You can change your cookie preferences at any time by clicking on the "Change consent" link above in the "What type of cookies do we use" section. You may need to refresh your page for your settings to take effect.
What about when I am redirected to third party sites?
Learn more about Cookies
To find out more about the way cookies work, how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage, block and delete them, or through your browser settings visit aboutcookies.org or allaboutcookies.org.
To find information relating to other browsers, visit the browser developer's website.
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- sending an email to email@example.com or
- writing to the Data Protection Officer, Markel International, 20 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AZ.
Changes to our Cookie Statement